Papyrus, Apps, and Signing الربدي والتطبيقات والإشارة

 Just a little update on what I'm up to recently.                                شوية أخبار عن حياتي مؤخرا

After the semester ended, I got to go with my Coptic Class to visit Manchester, where they keep the Coptic Limbo collection of papyrus (and some vellum and paper) texts. It was a really cool experience working with papyrus for the first time. Much of it was so fragmentary-- I have a newfound appreciation for the work scholars do with ancient languages. The materials are fragile and you have to work hard to fill in the gaps with missing or unclear letters. The personal letters, legal texts are particularly challenging because of the handwriting. We found some magical texts too, which were even more difficult to understand. We also got to see P52 , the oldest known remnant of a copy of the New Testament, in person!

بعد نهاية التيرم جتلي فرصة اني ازور مدينة مانشيستير مع زملائي من كورس اللغة القبطية وعندهم مجموعة كبيره من النصوص المكتوبة على البردي (والورق وورق الرق) كانت تجربه ممتعه جدا اشتغل مع البردي لاول مرة. كتير من النصوص مجزأه للغاية ودا اللي مخليني اقدر عمل الباحثين في المجال دا أكتر فالمواد رقيقه ومخرومه فالعمل يطلب بحث وتفكير لأعادة بناء الكلمات. أما الرسالات الشخصيه والنصوص القانونية من اصعب النصوص قراءة بسبب الخط غير المؤهل وأصعب منها بس النصوص السحرية فهي تستعصي على الفهم. كمان جت لنا فرصة اننا نشوف البردي رقم ٥٢ وهو أقدم جزء من نسخة للعهد الجديد شخصيا.

Rylands Greek P 457, The St John Fragment , On display in the Rylands Gallery at John Rylands Library in Manchester, England


I've also gotten back to work on my mobile apps. I recently released an app for learning basic Amharic. I'm hoping to release some other apps related to different phases of the Egyptian language soon as well: a short Demotic course, a Middle Egyptian dictionary, and maybe some other projects if I have time and find reliable data. I'm also planning a large update to the Coptic Dictionary app-- it's getting a large addition of Bohairic vocabulary to complement the Sahidic.

كمان رجعت اشتغل على تطبيقاتي. أصدرت ابلكيشن جديد لتعلم اساسيات اللغة الأمهرية وبتمنى اصدر بعض التطبيقات الأخرى المتعلقه باللغة المصرية: كورس قصير في الديموطيقي وقاموس هيروغليفي ويمكن اكتر لو عندي وقت ولاقي بيانات معتمده. بالاضافه الى ذلك أنوي تحديث لتطبيق القاموس القطبي فسوف أضيف كمية ضخمة للمفردات البحيرية وقد كان القاموس بالصعيدي فقط.

                                    Sneak peak into my app-making process.

                                                                    نظرة لوراء كواليس صنع التطبيقات

I also got an abstract accepted at SIGN10 next winter, and I'm nervous about producing my first abstract in IS. Luckily, I have some colleagues who can give me feedback. It's related to a project I've been working on related to sign language writing systems and phonological annotation. Hopefully it's well-received and useful. I've been procrastinating a little bit on adding new features, but the looming deadline should motivate me.

تقبل الملخص بتاعي في مؤتمر SIGN10 اللي هيتم في الشتا اللي جاي وانا متوتر شويه لاني هعمل اول ملخص ليا بالاشاره الدولية ومن حسن الحظ لدي زمائل تقدر تساعدني في الموضوع. وهو مشروع بعمله متعلق بأنظمة كتابة لغة الإشارة وطرق كتابة الفونولوجيا بتاعتها وبتمنى انها تفيد الناس والباحثين كلاهما لكن بقالي فتره مش عارف اضيف لها سمات.. يمكن ميعاد التسليم هيشجعني

Preview of work I'll present at SIGN10

                                                            لمحة ما سأقدمه في الممؤتمر

I'm also planning to apply for a small grant to make an app of higher quality than what I'm able to do in my spare time related to a minority language of Egypt. I'll let y'all know if that ends up happening. 

وانا برضه ناوي اقدم على منحة صغيره لتطوير تطبيق بجوده أعلى من اللي بقدر اعمله في وقت فراغي متعلق بلغة مهمشة في مصر.. هبقى اخبركم لو هيحصل

Popular posts from this blog

Almost through my first year of linguistics grad school قربت نهاية أول سنة لي في برنامج الدكتوراه في اللغويات

Numerals in Egyptian Sign Language from a Typological Perspective عن الأرقام بلغة الإشارة المصرية من وجهة نظر النمطيات